Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Summer Reads 38: The Indian Fan by Victoria Holt

 The Before:

This one was just a bunch of romantic-gothic stories I've collected. I'm at the point of my Summer Reads list where I'll be getting into more of what I would like to be writing.


The Feels:

This book has sucked me right in! There is a good amount of mystery and countryside building. I know that's not a legit term, but it's something I use to describe those novels set in rural settings and celebrate that sublime visual.


The Concerns:

I'm not a fan of the tension built between our main character and the little sister up at the Big House. The little sister is over the top spoilt bratty kid. It gets a bit cartoonish at points.

A little bit of Orientalism, which is not good. Does not read well in a modern context. Holt is a great writing, and this feels like a book that was written in the Victorian era... and there are parts of that that are realllllllyyy bad. I would like to be able to find a way that turns this trope on its head. How? I don't know yet. Maybe a main character that uses these tropes and then we as a reader realize what a pos they are?


Plot: 9/10
Writing Style: 10/10 
Meaningfullness: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment