Sunday, September 20, 2020

Gothic Reads: Intro

     As summer slowly draws to a close, my attitudes towards Gothic Lit have heightened. Gothic Literature is my absolute favorite genre, (other than perhaps fairy tales). Although I have always enjoyed the Gothic, I learned more about it when I studied abroad. I took a Romantic class, which turned out to be a Gothic Romance class. Some of the novels I remember the best are The Monk by Mathew Lewis, Mysteries of Udolpho by Anne Radcliffe (NO I did not read the WHOLE thing), Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, and (of course) Frankenstein. I absolutely loved everything we read, even Udolpho, which if soooo f*cking long. 

     This autumn, I have decided to rededicate myself to the Gothic, after all, my novel is not just a Romance; it is a Gothic Romance. Some of these books will be ones I have on my "To Read" shelf and have been there for some time. I cannot wait for you to join me on this adventure of the Gothic.


No comments:

Post a Comment