Sunday, January 31, 2021

The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson

The Before:
I've tried to read a few of her books before, I always get quickly sucked in by the quickly spat back out.


The Feels:
... Well... that was interesting... DNF


The Reflection:
    Dickerson is very clearly not happy with Catholics. THEN WHY WOULD SHE WRITE A FAIRY TALE THAT TAKES PLACE IN A CATHOLIC VILLAGE IN ENGLAND??? She comes across as very smug... and I think she think's she's being subtle. Don't get me wrong, as a reformed Catholic myself, I take issue with many values of the Catholic Church. However, in order to critique a subject, you must first be able to understand it. I can critique the Catholic Church because I know how it works. I cannot critique a Baptist Church because I DON'T know how it works. In her writing, Dickerson's tone throughout the writing is very condescending of Christian practices at the time. Like the town's priest not having a bible or women being able to read, just not the bible. That's absurd and was not standard practice for the Catholic Church. And the Church is SUCH and easy target when it comes to criticism. Not the pedo priests? Not the abusive nuns? Not the fact that mass was in Latin and 99% of the population didn't understand what was being talked about? NOT THE WITCH TRIALS?!? I mean come on, it was right there! 
    Also, I did not dig the whole "I'm NoT LiKe OtHeR gIrLs" vibe from our main character. Apparently all (other than the main character) women are sluts and hoes and bitches... thanks Dickerson. 
    Honestly, I started off really liking this book. Although I'm not a "Christian" reader, I have been known to like some Christian Romance. The main character, whatever her name was, started off strong, in a more traditionally feminine way, which was really fun. But then she started to interact with other characters and all I could think was oh please make it stop. Felt like going to church and the person giving the sermon really took issue with some irrelevant issues. 

Score:
Writing Style burned down barn/10
Plot 7/10
Meaningfulness 1/10




No comments:

Post a Comment