Thursday, January 28, 2021

Melt by Demelza Carlton

The Before:

I've read a few other books by Carlton before. Some I have liked more than others. I was excited to see a retelling of one of my favorite, "The Snow Queen".


The Feels:

Uhhhh... It's fine. Not nearly as good as others I have read by her. The plot and writing was a bit of a mess; felt like it was completely random. Feels like she had to crack this one out.


The Reflection:

The initial setting of vague Middle East was a bit of a YIKES. Diversity can be amazing and fun... this is not the way to do it. It also felt like the names were made up, I mean for the vaguely Middle Eastern characters. Maram, Briska, and Amani sound SOOOO close to some very common Arabic names. I Googled them and they are real names, just really really rare; Kurdish, Iraqi, and West African... I think that's too much of a mix when world building. Mariam, Briska, and Armani sound sooo much better in my opinion. (Also did she pick Briska, because it sounds like "brisk" in English?) I'm really disappointed because I KNOW Carlton is a good writer.


Scores:

Plot 2/10
Writing Style 3/10
Meaningfulness 5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment