Sunday, January 17, 2021

Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

The Before:

    I had heard of this book and I've seen bits of the 90s BBC series. There was also an episode of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, where Phryne is seen holding a copy.


The Feels:

    I was honestly shocked by this book, in a good way. Right from the first chapter, I can see how this book was banned in multiple countries... Honestly, I think the banning helped the book's dangerously infamous reputation. 

    The writing and is BEAUTIFUL! It's smut, but that doesn't mean it's also not smart. I was amazed at how well crafted it was. I majored in English, and I'm shocked it was never required reading (or even recommended reading). I mean, the sexual scenes are not event that graphic.

 

The Reflection:

    There was a lot about class in this book, more than I thought would be. I wish it was a little more direct. I also wish our main character interacted with more female characters. I understand her isolation, but it didn't feel genuine. The book was also a little too long.


Scores:

Plot 8/10
Writing Style 9/10
Meaningfulness 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment