Saturday, January 30, 2021

Ready Player One: The Problem with Nerd Culture

    I am exhausted by nerd culture. For years, I followed multiple fandoms; Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Supernatural, you name it. My favorite place in undergrad was the library. I excited took history classes. I.wrote.fan.fiction.
    And I'm DONE. I just can't anymore. It's too exhausting and I've noticed so much unkindness within nerd culture. This is especially true with it comes to women and people of color, two groups I am a part of. I feel like when talking to other nerds that I have to prove myself and my nerdiness. I refuse to do that any more. It isn't my problem if someone else feels the need to doubt my capabilities and I'm to exhausted by this nonsense to care.
    It really is too bad though. I've been loosing some friendships because of nerd culture. I have/had two friends, a married couple, that are my nerdiest friends. I'm too done with their ignorance. It feels like I have grown in ways they have not. They live in a little nerd bubble and refuse to grow up. They get caught up in the details without noticing their part in the damage of the whole. 

Jenny Nicholson goes over some of this damage/nonsense in this video analysis of Ready Player One https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07w3u8iLa-s&ab_channel=JennyNicholson 

No comments:

Post a Comment