Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Summer Romance Goals

So a few weeks ago, I made a dumb purchase. I saw a listing of 64 paperback romance novels on Etsy and I... couldn't not buy it. Because of this, I have decided to make one of my summer goals to read as many romance novels as possible. Although what I have are mostly heteronormative, I do plan on seeking out even more novels with LGBTQIAA themes. 

There is a secondary reason for me concentrating on romance novels right now. I am planning on applying to a few different MFA programs this summer. I have an idea for a gothic-romance heavily rooted in race and feminism that I really want to write. I think it would be a perfect first novel for me and I have found a lot of programs I could receive proper support in writing it.

As a I read through these novels, I also want to find new ways for me to look at the romance genre, aka the only genre dominated by female authors. I was really inspired to do all of this by a fantastic film analyst, Lindsay Ellis. Her video on Romance Novels opened my eyes to so many nuanced topics in romance.

Check out Lindsay's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0l5yEY_IlY

No comments:

Post a Comment