Monday, June 29, 2020

Summer Reads 6: Enchant by Demelza Carlton

*Trigger warning: This book involved a plot element around rape and sexual assault, although it does do this in a trauma informed way.*

The Before:
I've read this one before, but I was in desperate need of a palate cleanser after that last bit of trash. It was just as good as I remember! I wish Carlton was more widely read.

The Feels:
This is a great retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Carlton does great work making Belle an active character through her character Zuleika. She also struggles with PTSD. It was clear to me that Carlton has a solid understanding of sexual assault and the trauma that goes along with it. This is how a book should use rape as not just a throw away plot point, but as a trauma that can effect characters in different ways. 

There is some sexual content in this book. Nothing too graphic though. I would give it a PG-13 to mayyybe an R. There is nothing really described in the rape scene (thankfully!). That scene is mainly about what Zuleika thinks and feels.

The Beast, Vardan, is an emotionally intuitive, which is great to see in a masculine lead. He cares deeply about those around him and is just lonely. He also already hated his brother, and how his brother treated Zuleika just adds to this. I don't like it when sexual assault is a plot point to make two men hate each other. Sadly, that doesn't happen in real life.

The Concerns:
It's implied that Zuleika's PTSD is just cured at the end of the book... I don't like that. I think a little more thought should have been put into that. 


Plot: 10/10 
Writing Style: 9/10
Meaningfullness: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment