Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Linda Castillo: Kate Burkholder Series (10.5)

Linda Castillo is one of my favorite murder mystery novelists. Right now, I am reading a few of her short stories that fit in between the full novels in the Kate Burkholder Series. I will be reading them a bit out of order, but I will keep all updates on this specific post, in an attempt to keep things at least a little bit organized. 

First Read: In Plain Sight (book 10.5)
The Summary:
A young Amish man hurt in a hit and run after a going to a dance with his English girlfriend. It's up to Kate to find the attacker before the attacker strikes again.

The Feels:
John and Kate are my favorite mystery couple. They have both faced trauma in the past and are actively working towards bettering themselves, not to mention the strong chemistry they have. The events of In Plain Sight are no exception to this. John takes a bit of a passive role, but he's always right there in order to support our favorite chief of police.

I love how Mona is becoming more of a lead character and I hope Castillo plays up more on Kate as a mentor to her. I like this powerful women mentor-mentee situation was played up a little in this story, being that Mona was one of the few characters Kate interacts with.

I liked the inclusion of the more modern slang in this story. Nice to see Castillo keeping up with the times.

The Concerns:
I think the story should have been a little bit longer in order to develop a few of the characters more. Ashley in particular feels a little too flat. 

I like that Mona was in this one. Would like to see more from Glock, the African American popo in this series. I know he is happily married (with kids, I think), but I can't help but ship him and Mona, even though Castillo implied in a different novel that she was with P.J.


Plot: 9/10
Writing Style: 10/10
Meaningfullness: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment