Saturday, April 4, 2020

A Wonderful Weekend with Mary Poppins

This weekend has been dedicated to sewing masks for hospitals in my area. While sewing I decided to pick up (or rather listen to) Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers. I remember reading this novel when I was little and I was so excited when it came across my recommend page on YouTube.

Before Reading:
I don't remember much from when I first read the novel. Most of my memories are a weird jumble of the book, the Disney movie, and the Broadway musical. One scene that sticks out most in my mind is when a witch brakes off her finger and gives it to a baby? I have no idea where this story is going. Could get pretty weird. 

While Reading:
Yes! I love this! It is exactly what I need right now. It's a light hearted children's novel. Much funnier than I remember. I can't tell you the number of times its made me laugh out loud. 

Mary is a little different than I remember. She's very prim and proper in the Disney movie and the stage show. She is still is in the book, but there is a little more snark. She's also surprised at her own magic, which I thought was odd. This made her feel younger, like she hadn't quite realized  her own powers yet. This came up in the sidewalk chalk tea scene with Burt. They were both surprised with what they were wearing and who/what was at the cafe. 

The twins were wonderful. The part in which they talk to Mary about forgetting how to talk to animals was profound. It's the strongest moment in the novel. Travers was clearly highly aware of her audience, both children and adults. 

The story is highly progressive when it comes to animal rights. At one point Jane and Michael go to the zoo at night. Everything is "upside down" because all of the people at the zoo are the ones in the cages. There is a conversation that the animals have while watching the Admiral in a cage. He angrily shouts about being in cage and the animals see it as part of the "show". They refer to him as a "beast" and just sort of shake their heads at now brutish humans can be.

The witch finger thing was as weird as I remembered.

After Reading:
This was one of the best things I've done this weekend. I could not recommend Mary Poppins more. 

Plot: 9/10 *There were a couple parts where I zoned out
Writing Style: 10/10
Meaningful: 10/10 *It's a little typical Anglocentric, but hints of progressive ideas especially when it came to animals was powerful.

Here's the link to the audiobook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-8alaK_KDI&t=9881s

No comments:

Post a Comment