Saturday, July 11, 2020

Linda Castillo 2: Pray for Silence

The Feels: 
    Yay! Kate is getting closer with Tommestti. They have a few great... moments... together😜. I didn't realize their age difference until this read... I think Castillo should have upped her age just a little. She's only 31? I thought she was at least 35 or 36. 
    We learn more about Kate's past. I would have liked to have been able to meet her family in this one. (She spoke with them in the last book, so where are they in this one?) The mystery itself it pretty good in this one. It was good for Castillo to base the killing around someone Kate can self identify with. It helps her character grow and helps us empathize with her as an audience. 

The Concerns:
   This was one of the weaker books in the series. I, along with a few others, were a bit confused by who the killer is. There were a LOT of suspects in this book and for some reason, it was difficult for me to keep track of them. Even after finishing and doing some digging on Goodreads, I'm still confused as to why Castillo didn't pick a different character. *SPOILERS* I thought the killer was going to be the guy who sold a few Amish hex symbols to the shop the girl worked at. I honestly don't remember his name and it is very possible that he could have been one of the accomplices. It just felt like he was set up to be the killer because he was so charming when talking to Kate. The actual killer was terrified when Kate interviewed him, which is weird, because Kate refers to him as a sociopath when he is unmasked. Overall, a good read, there are just a handful of weird details that don't full add up. 

Plot: 7/10
Writing Style: 8/10
Meaningfullness: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment