Friday, July 10, 2020

Best Film Adaptations: Umm.. What?

I was thinking about doing a few different series based on different film adaptions of books. I was doing some digging online and found that many lists are basically sausagefests. A lot of Stephen King bull and The Godfather/Fight Club nonsense. Stephen King doesn't even like most of his film adaptations and the ones he does are terrible! (Yeah fuck you The Mist). I also saw some nasty things like Gone With the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird (stab me with a frickin soul with a spork). Then I saw Hidden Figures on a list of "novel" adaptations. You rude-growing turds! That actually happened (except for the part with Kevin Kosner, fuck him and is white savior complex), so it is in fact NOT a novel. For more petty reasons; frickin Little Women 2019, a movie that stole an Oscar from ROCKETMAN! I didn't even see Rocketman, but just based on the trailer, the costuming was far superior. I mean it's Elton fucking John; the mutherfucking style icon himself and they were spot on. Give.them.the.damn.Oscar.

So now I have to do a few different series on best adaptations. I think I'll just start off with a few of my favorite basic level adaptation. The one where they just take the book and put it into movie form. I have a few other categories like Modernized/Teen Dramas and Fantasy adaptations. There are also a few authors that I will be separating out like Jane Austen and the Bronte Sisters. I'm not doing Shakespeare, because he's part of this whole sausagefest problem. And after glancing at my list again, I realize it's practically a Target in the suburbs, cause it's almost all white authors and almost white narratives. As of writing this I have three stories of color being told by white people (*ick*), one that was supposed to have all characters of color but was whitewashed (Tales of Earthsea), two Western properties (Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice) rewritten by different Asian cultures, and one Chinese to Chinese story. Sooo... I'ma work on that as I review. I'm mostly familiar with a lot of stories about slavery that have been adapted into films and honestly that's not the narrative I want to push. Slavery was awful. Too much sadness, too much trauma; more importantly I'm writing about fiction.


Further Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment